Political and Civic Involvement Opportunities in Massachusetts
Activities are restricted due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)!
Mass. Town Political Committee's Facebook Pages and websites post many events both virtual and in the Boston area that are now happening :
(*) National Voter Registration Day is Tuesday September 22;
(*) Constitution Day Forum - " ZOOM: The Citizen's Choice : Ranked choice Voting " on Thursday September 17 at 4 pm Edward M. Kennedy Institute or the Senate;
(*) “Virtual: The Indigenous Legislative Agenda Coalition for a Lobby Day” on Wednesday September 16 at 10 am;
(*) Politics and Prose Bookstore, Washington D.C., "Virtual Event Series" at https://www.politics-prose.com/ ;
LINK to fill out the United States Census 2020 online: https://2020census.gov
July through September 2020
Massachusetts Town Political Committees are busy with :
"Virtual Annual Breakfast"; "ZOOM & Facebook Watch Party of Democratic National Convention"; "Keep America Great Boat Rally"; "Annual Picnic/BBQ"; "ZOOM: Cook - In"; "Virtual Nuts and Bolts Comedy Show"; "ZOOM: Book Club Discussions"; "Movie Watch Party"; * "July 4th Community Video: Reading of Fredrick Douglass 2020: Apart and Together".
Community Service Events
"Food Drives"; "Food Pantry & Outreach"; "Community Clean Up" "Appreciation Lunches for Policemen, Fire Fighters, First Responders" ;
"Virtual Bartending Fundraising Event" ; "Zoom Fundraiser Guest Speakers";
Mass. Town Political Committee's Facebooks and websites post many civic and political activities & current events that are now happening such as:
* "Virtual Ranked Choice Voting Forum"; * "Issue Survey"; "Text-a-Thon Party"; *"Virtual Grassroots Voter Education"; * "Virtual Learn To Vote Event"; *"Virtual Voting Awareness Campaign" ; * "Virtual Voter Registration";
*"Car Caravan: Cancel Evictions and Foreclosures"; * "Rally: Drivers Licenses Now!" , "Back the Blue (Police) Rally";
*"Virtual Community Conversation on Anti-Racism"; * " Virtual Community Forum on Race, Diversity, and Inclusion ; *"Live & Virtual: Vigil for George Floyd and all Victims of Police Violence";
* "Facebook: Children's Town Hall Live Event on the COVID-19"; "Tele-Town Hall for Questions About the Coronavirus"; "Live Online Facebook Chat about the Coronavirus"; "Civics Matters Series"; *Town Government 101 Forums;
*2019 Singing for Solidarity with Our Immigrant Neighbors"; *"Singing For Social Justice"; * "Education Mailer Events"; * "Citizens Commission Application Form " ; "Vigils for Gun Violence Awareness"; * "Vigils: Never Forget The Children at the Border"; *"Rally For Peace";
;Civics and Political Activity
*" ZOOM: Candidates Forum";
;"Common Cause Massachusetts' pre-formatted form to contact state legislators to support/oppose Bills"; "Virtual Hearing on Bills at State House"; "Virtual Phone Bank" *Virtual Campaign, Canvassing, and Civics Training ; * Call/text legislators to support bills; *Send "postcards" to Congress to express "voice" in pending bills; *StandOut/Drive-Thru Signature Gathering;
* Phone Banking; * Campaign/Election Sign Holding; *Candidate Debates, Forums & Fundraisers * Political Platform events ;
*Listening Sessions" and "StandOuts" for civic, policy issues, and candidates; * "Non-Partisan Town Government Civic Forum"; "Better Angels Red/Blue Workshop;
" Documentary Screenings on Civic/Political Issues"; "ZOOM: State House Public Hearing to take Testimony" from citizens on pending legislation.
Forums: Civic and Policy Issues
* Drivers Licenses for Illegal Immigrants; * 10 Point Plan for Police Reform; *Election Laws; Coronavirus; Election Integrity; Education Equality; Safe Communities; Emergency Paid Sick Time; Plastic Bag Ban, Vaping Ban, Social Security, Open Internet Order, Clean Energy, Transgender Civil Rights; Ranked Choice Voting, Improving Medicare and Health Care, Immigration, Expanding Mass. Transit Rails, the Opioid Crises, Retail Marijuana, Gun Control ; Safe Patient Limits; Massachusetts should/should not be a "Sanctuary State"; Single Payer Health Insurance;The Work and Mobility Act.
Examples: * Town Hall meetings on topics such as clean energy , social security,& health care with state and local senators, legislators, and candidates.
Boston State House
* EVENTS: Boston's State House has multiple events every week that are open to everyone of all ages! See what topics might interest you and plan on attending an event! Visit www.mass.gov/state-house-events ;
* Visit malegislature.gov to get the latest news on "Bills & laws", "Hearing and Events", "Legislators", "Committees and Commissions", and more...
Town Hall/City Hall Civics
* Be alert to when your town is having elections this Spring and Fall for Board of Selectman and Board of Education, or when your city is having elections this fall for Mayor, City Council, and School Committee! Visit your Town Hall to see how to become an election worker for City Elections.
* Volunteer to serve on a Board or Committee in your town government!
Civics and Government
* Community Engagement -Attorney General Maura Healy's Office offers a "Summer Series" of free webinars on different topics:
(i) Unauthorized Practice of Immigration Law- Monday, August 31st at 10:30 am;
(ii) Savvy Seniors and Financial Exploitation- Tuesday, September 1st at 10:30 am;
(iii) COVID-19 AGO Assistance to Immigrants- Wednesday, September 2nd at 2:00 pm;
(iv) Landlord and Tenant Rights and Responsibilities- Tuesday, September 8th at 2:00 pm;
(v) Workers' Rights- Wednesday, September 9 at 10:30 am ;
(vi) Financial Literacy- Thursday, September 10th at 10:30 am.
For more information and viewing
click on https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ag-healeys-summer-webinar-series-tickets-105859197710